School Secretary I
Early Learning Center
The Mount Horeb Area School District is seeking qualified candidates for the School Secretary I position. Our District's mission, in partnership with the community, is dedicated to nurturing, educating and challenging our students while preparing and empowering them to be productive, responsible and self-fulfilled members of society.
The School Secretary I responsibilities consists of clerical, receptionist, and technology support to accomplish the objectives established by the school’s office and in support of the Early Learning Center and 4K program. Among other things, the School Secretary I adapts to a wide variety of responsibilities; presents a positive image in all communications with students, parents, community, and staff; properly handles confidential matters related to students, student records, parents, staff and any other school issues with a student-centered approach.
LENGTH OF ASSIGNMENT:
240 days (11 months)FULL TIME EQUIVALENCY:
7:30-4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
All staff, students, and community stakeholders
PREFER APPLICANTS POSSESSING THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
Required experience and training:
· High School Diploma.
· Ability to type 60 words per minute.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with others in person, by phone or written communication.
· Recent successful experience in a responsible office position.
· Extensive experience with Microsoft Office and Google Applications.
· Minimum three (3) year’s satisfactory experience working in a school or office setting with the general public.
· Hold current certification in first aid and CPR (or secure such certification within the first semester of employment.)
· Demonstrated ability learning to use a variety of office equipment, including multi-line phone, copier, facsimile, and laminator.
· Demonstrated ability to assume responsibility for routine decisions in the absence of an immediate supervisor.
· Requires successful passing of District clerical skills test.
Desired experience and training:
· Specialized knowledge and/or secretarial-related experience in a public education setting (e.g. prior experience in fast-paced, school office setting).
· Vocational/technical training or associate degree (executive assistant, office management or business management); a minimum of two years of progressively responsible secretarial experience; or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities.
· Computer experience or training in Microsoft Office applications.
· Successful experience with student scheduling and/or spreadsheet and graphic use.
· Willingness to attend formal training.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
· Superior ability to responsibly handle and safeguard confidential information.
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Interpersonal skills appropriate for the social-emotional needs of students at the early elementary level including empathy, positivity, and patience.
· Thorough knowledge of modern and efficient office technology, software and procedures.
· Exemplary ability to organize and keep accurate records.
· Ability to prioritize, multitask, and meet deadlines.
· Normal office environment and moderate noise levels.
· Routine interruptions to workflow.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
· Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
· Must be able to have repetitive wrist/hand/finger movement to work on computer and/or related office equipment.
· May need to routinely bend, stoop, reach, crouch or kneel, and occasionally lift up to 15 pounds
· Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills to assist in establishing a positive climate in the work environment.
· Collects data and creates reports for the ELC and 4K as assigned (may require use of word processing, database management, spreadsheets, graphics and/or desk-top publishing skills).
· Performs clerical tasks for school principal and 4K coordinator as assigned.
· Manages accounting, payroll forms, and budget impacting procedures at school level.
· Manage incoming phone calls, students, and visitors to the Main Office (often simultaneously).
· Timely completes procedures to ensure student safety and security including process visitor background checks, facilitate the review of background check results with school principal, operate secured entrance equipment, direct traffic flow, and execute student check-in/check-out protocol, and visitor verification.
· Maintain confidentiality with sensitive information.
· Assists staff with clerical equipment in school office.
· Aids students who are ill or injured with authentic care and concern for the child’s well-being.
· Oversees or assists with compilation of attendance reports and maintenance of student records for the kindergarten and 4K programs as assigned.
· Accepts primary responsibility or assists in student registration, transfer and scheduling as assigned.
· Collects, tracks, and maintains attendance data for building and community four-year-old kindergarten sites and follows procedures for discrepancies.
· Performs other related duties as necessary.
Interested candidates should please submit a cover letter, resume, responses to the question set, and credentials on WECAN. Applicants are requested not to send resumes to the building principal. **This position will remain open until filled.
It is the policy of the Mount Horeb Area School District that no person shall, on the basis of age, gender, race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, pregnancy, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, medical condition or disease, or physical, mental, emotional or learning disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or employment. If you are a qualified employee or applicant with a disability, you may access reasonable accommodations.